Monday, October 17, 2011

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change #4

My SMART goal is to fully stop using paper toweling in my everyday life, and to cut down as I become more aware of the amount of toilet paper I use on a daily basis also. This week was a bit of a slip when it came to maintaining my goal. My roommate went out and bought paper toweling, and I remember spilling my milk, and then going to grab the paper toweling as it was right there. Then, after I had used it I thought to myself "Lindsay, what are you using?" It was just so instinctive, because it was right there. However, I did a good job with counting the amount of toilet paper I use each time I use the bathroom, which was a bit of a challenge last week. I was successful with remembering to count the amount of toilet paper I used each time by the "t" on my hand, which I eventually hope to stop doing that, but that is how I remained success with that. 
My challenges came about with the paper toweling, I know that I cut up old t-shirts, and turned them into rags, but I can't get my roommates to be on the same page with me with that. I did talk to her though and she said she wouldn't buy it anymore, so hopefully she will not. Hopefully the whole out of sight out of mind concept will work for both of us here. 
I felt like a cheater, and like I betrayed a promise or something when I caught myself using the paper toweling. Even though I wasn't breaking a law or anything I still felt guilty after I did it. I was also disapoited in myself for resorting to using paper toweling, because I was doing so well without it. However, everytime I recorded my toilet paper use I felt excited for myself in remembering to do so, and my averages went down, which was a good feeling as well.
This week I learned that it is harder then you think to change a behavior. And that just because I thought I was changed and would never use paper toweling again I was wrong. I think this little set back helped me to really see the big picture, and always just be aware of what I am doing. 
My plan for next week is to not use paper toweling at all. My roommate and I cut up more old t-shirts, and hand washed the ones we had been using so we are both going to use those. She is also not going to buy anymore paper toweling. I will continue with the behaviors I am working with, and try to remember everytime I use the bathroom to record it so my data stays accurate.
Average Number of Bathroom Use: 6.2 times per day (this is something I really can't change)
Average Number of Squared: 6.9 squares per use (down from last week, which is always my goal to reduce my average every week!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay-

    I think it's cool you got your roommate involved in helping you attain your goal! I know it's hard to change any behavior that you've been conditioned to for so long. I think you came up with a smart way to remind your self about how remain eco friendly when going to the restroom. Maybe you can try to find other creative ways to help you avoid using paper towels. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok. Don't feel bad or cheated. We humans are not perfect. Where do you keep your rags? I usually keep a rag on the kitchen floor just below the sink in case I spill something. I also keep one below the bathroom sink. Hand washing them muat have been a pain...and gross.

    ReplyDelete