Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Share & Voice: Video

Ever since taking this class, and seeing all of the different documentaries I have really changed all of my eating habits and behaviors. I use to go to Super One and buy whatever was on sale, such as Easy Mac or the most sugary cereals, because they were cheap. I never actually looked at the labels, and what was inside of them. However, ever since then I find myself actually looking at labels and shopping at Whole Foods. I try to buy organic foods, or attend farmers markets for local farmers around the area. My diet has changed entirely, and I am quite pleased with my new behavior. On the Whole Foods website I found this very informative and interesting video discussing how foods are labeled. In this video them emphasized the difference between organic, and natural. I now know that the only if it says "naturally organic" does that truly mean it is. I really learned a lot about labeling foods, and how companies use their own name on the labels at a cheaper price then a name brand item, but there is no difference in the actual ingredients, but because the label is more popular verses the store brand people think it is better, but really they are just paying more. Now when I go to the store I am actually going to look at the label or a store brand verses a name brand product and compare what is in them. So, I challenge you this, to read the labels next time you are at the store and compare the two products.
Are the ingredients the same?
How much is the difference in cost?
If you buy the store brand compared to what you usually do, does it taste different?

I went to the store and bought Great Value cheese tortillas chips, commonly known as Doritos.
I was able to get these for $1.79 less and there was a slight difference in taste, but they were not bad tasting at all. I was able to learn all of this from the video I watched on the Whole Foods websites about labeling and that there really is no difference if you know what you are really looking for.
Everyone should check it out, it is very informative!


3 comments:

  1. Way to go Lindsay! You seem to be really diving into personal change this semester. I've long been a label reader and a "generic" brand shopper. Mostly in the past to save money, but over time I realized I could be healthier too. I really try to find labels for foods that list only straight forward ingredients. If I can't pronounce it, I probably don't want to eat it. I have to admit to falling into a lot more convenience foods lately, but generally my family tries to make most of our food from "scratch" and avoid store bought cookies, snacks, and box mix foods. In the long run, you not only are bound to be healthier, but you save money too.

    Thanks for sharing this interesting video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been a big generic shopper, usually for the cost difference. I find it crazy how some people spend so much money for the "real" thing, when the generic is either closely related or the exact same! I agree with Cole when it comes to foods, it's best to stay away if you can't even pronounce the ingredients! Another good tactic I use when shopping for the best whole foods (when you can't always make it to the Whole Foods store) is to only shop around the perimeters of a grocery store. Every grocery store I've been in is designed to have most of the processed food in the middle. It's a good way to stay away from temptations of purchasing those high fat cookies or high sugar sodas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I do not think that I could ever change to a different brand of Doritos, it is really interesting that many store brands have the exact same ingredients in them as the name brand foods. I know I looked at what was in a box of macaroni and cheese once, and I do not think I could pronounce half of the ingredients. That does not sound healthy at all. I think this class changed a lot of what we eat as college students.

    ReplyDelete