Monday, October 24, 2011

Eye Opener-Junk on the Brain

Part 1:
Antique: an old collectable item
Junk: any undesired thing or substance
Flea Market: swap meet, place where secondhand or inexpensive good are bartered
Thrift Shop: retail establishment run by a charitable organization to raise money
Upcycling: process of converting waste material or useless materials into new products or materials of better quality or higher environmental value
Resale Shop: the act of selling again to a different party, secondhand selling

Part 2:
All of these terms directly relate to environmental health. They all describe different ways we can reuse our everyday items that we think are trash and find different needs for them. Also, we can go to different places that sell other people's "junk" but find ways to use them for ourselves at a cheap price instead of just throwing everything away. In the end it saves us money, but also it saves the environment from being polluted.
1. Father Time Antiques (antiquing)
395 S. Lake Ave. #1 Duluth, MN 55802
(218) 625-2379
2. Junkers Blog (junking)
Ki Nasseur
From Minnesota, currently living in California
http://junkcamp.blogspot.com/2009/04/calling-all-junkers.html
3. Minnesota Flea Market (flea markets)
Lake Superior College (Annual 2nd Flea Market second Sunday in August)
2101 Trinity Rd.
Duluth, MN 55811
4. GoodWill (thrift shop)
700 Garfield Ave.
Duluth, MN 55802
(218) 722 3050
5. Christopher's Lowell Upcycled Furniture from Local Homes
Found in the Sears Dept. at Miller Hill Mall
1600 Miller Trunk Hwy
Duluth, MN
(218) 725 0395
6. Savers (retail shop)
1740 Mall Dr.
Duluth, MN 55811
(218) 722-1894
I do not do any of these things. I honestly have never really thought of any of these ideas actually. When I have garbage, or something I think I can't use I just throw it away. I have never taken the time to actually look at it and see all of the possible options I could use it for. Also, I never think to shop at thrift stores. I have always just went to Target, so whenever I need something my first thought is to always go there.

Part 3:
1. How to Display Pumpkins, I find this to be cool because I just carved pumpkins this past weekend, and some of them didn't turn out like I invisioned it, but instead of throwing it away i could plant flowers in it, and make it into a fun fall decoration for my front porch! It is also right in season, so the weather and timing is perfect for this idea!
2. Happy Father's Day Eve, I really like this idea, because I always want to get my dad something memorable, but I can never come up with a good idea. I never have a lot of money to spend, but yet I want to get him something meaningful. I do have old glass bottles and jars laying around I can easily decorate and make bright, and put a picture of me on it. He can then put it on his desk as a pencil holder, and always see me, it's cheap and easy to do, and I know he could actually use it!
3. Candle Holder 101 I just really like this idea simply because it just looks awesome! I love decorating my house and having candles all around, especially different scents during specific times of the years, but I never know where to put them. I like the idea of the old rustic sheet metal. I just think it looks really cool and vintage, and when I get more of a permaent residence I want to decorate my house like this, it's very pretty! I like the idea!
I LOVED this website! There was so many cool ideas, and projects that I can do just with stuff I have laying around. I have never really thought about half of this stuff, but now my wheels are spinning on all the endless possibilities I have on decorating!




3 comments:

  1. I hope you decide to start checking out these local stores, like Plato's Closet and Ragstock! It's a great way to save money by buying reused items or to make a little cash by selling stuff you don't wear :) I'm excited to keep reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay,

    Sounds like this assignment was something really new to you. I started with flea markets and garage sales as a way to save money, but now I just enjoy the experience. It's so much fun to find new uses for old things. It's kind of funny too, because some stores try to sell "new" things they make to look old.

    It will be fun to see what everyone does for their junk project. This is the part I'm looking forward to most in the last half of class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never think to go look at thrift stores for the things we want because it just seems easier to buy it brand new. I know after doing this post I want to go check out thrift type stores and see what kind of stuff they have there. It saves both money and the environment!

    ReplyDelete